skip to content

Postgraduate research in family law

Faculty research students working on family law topics are fully involved in the activities of the Centre.

Members of the Centre are happy to field inquiries from potential research students who wish to have a brief preliminary discussion of a possible research topic, whether with a view to undertaking a full 3-year PhD project or for a shorter project to be conducted under the two-year MLitt or one-year research Diploma course.

Please note that all applications for research degrees are dealt with by the Degree Committee of the Faculty of Law, and the Centre does not itself take decision on the admission of research students. For full information about the Faculty’s research degree programmes, how to apply, funding etc, please visit

Visiting Academics and other Senior Researchers

The Centre is pleased to welcome visiting academics and others from the UK and overseas institutions pursuing advanced work in family law who wish to conduct research in Cambridge for a time.

Visiting fellows are in Cambridge for periods from two months to a year. Visiting fellows are participate in the research and/or teaching activities of the Centre during their stay, for example by giving a paper at a seminar.

Visiting scholars are those academics and others pursuing advanced work in family law who visit for periods of less than two months.

Visiting fellows and scholars will ordinarily be required to pay fees (monthly or pro rata for shorter visits) for desk space, computing and other facilities provided by the Faculty during their stay; the Centre may, in appropriate cases, be able to assist in paying such fees. The Centre and Faculty are unable to provide living accommodation for visitors, which must be arranged separately. The University of Cambridge’s Accommodation Service can assist.

Please note that all proposals for visitor status, whether as visiting fellow or scholar, require approval by the Faculty Board, and all visitors must already be known personally by a member of the Centre. The Centre and Faculty cannot accept speculative applications for visitor status. Those wishing to discuss the possibility of visiting the Centre should contact one of its members directly.

Visiting research students

We also welcome applications for visits by research students registered at another UK or overseas higher education institution for a research degree on a family law topic. We regret that we are not able to provide formal academic supervision for visiting students, and cannot provide dedicated work space. However, access to the Squire Law Library, where students can work during library opening hours, will be possible, subject to the permission of the Squire Law Librarian. This will be organised once the visit has been approved by the Centre.

All inquiries about potential visits should be directed in the first instance to giving 1) an indication of the proposed duration of the visit, 2) a description of the project to be worked on during the visit, and 3) a full curriculum vitae. Research students should also include a letter of support from their academic supervisor at their home institution.